Overtaking Car Accidents
Many car, truck, and SUV accidents occur in Seattle and Kirkland because people try to overtake each other on roads. This is particular true in roads that are two lanes, with one lane going in each direction. Oftentimes, drivers believe if the yellow line dividing the lanes of traffic is broken, that means they can overtake a driver that is going too slow for their preference.
While the broken yellow line dividing opposing lanes of traffic does allow drivers to overtake a lane, it must be done cautiously because many head-on crashes occur because of people being too aggressive when they overtake another car.Washington State Overtaking Car Accident Laws
Washington State has very strict and prudent laws regarding overtaking a car on a road. RCW 46.61.105 states:
Drivers of vehicles proceeding in opposite directions shall pass each other to the right, and upon roadways having width for not more than one line of traffic in each direction each driver shall give to the other at least one-half of the main-traveled portion of the roadway as nearly as possible.
In addition, RCW 46.61.110 states, with regard to overtaking on the left,
The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions and special rules hereinafter stated:
(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking other traffic proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken traffic.
(2) The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian or bicycle that is on the roadway or on the right-hand shoulder or bicycle lane of the roadway shall pass to the left at a safe distance to clearly avoid coming into contact with the pedestrian or bicyclist, and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken pedestrian or bicyclist.
(3) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, overtaken traffic shall give way to the right in favor of an overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase speed until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.
Failing to abide by these laws can not only result in a ticket by the police, it can also result in a serious car, truck, or SUV accident. It is very important to observe these laws and make sure that you follow them. If a driver has failed to follow these laws and has caused an accident, you may have a valid claim against the driver who caused the accident.Common Overtaking Car Accident Injuries
If you have been in a car accident because of a driver who overtook a lane and caused an injury, then you likely have suffered serious injuries because of the negligence of the driver who hit you. Your injuries may be the following:
- Broken bones
- ACL tear
- Herniated discs
- Bulging discs
These injuries can be serious in nature and require medical care. After being involved in a motor vehicle collision regarding overtaking on the left, it is crucial to immediately seek the medical care that you need.How The Jackman Law Firm can Help
The Jackman Law Firm can help establish liability, if necessary, in a case where there is a dispute over how the accident happened by hiring the necessary experts to help prove your case. In addition, after the accident you are likely going to need help recovering the following:
- Money for medical bills and healthcare expenses
- Money for lost ages
- Money for pain and suffering
- Money for out of pocket expenses
If you need assistance recovering the following from any of these, feel free to contact The Jackman Law Firm to discuss how we can help you.