Seattle Defective Medical Device Lawyer
Medical devices are installed inside of people with the purposes of improving their health by addressing physical ailments. In many instances, the device is installed in an ailing hip or knee, but the device could also be placed in someone’s heart, brain, and other parts of their body. Surgical meshes placed in the groin, stomach, and vagina are also common. Unfortunately, these devices do not always work as they are intended, and this malfunction causes injury in people. Common problems that
come about from faulty devices are inflammation, infection, and a complete rejection of the implant, along with serious illness. While manufacturers often know about the problems associated with their devices, they do not always recall them. There are two different types of medical devices that exist. The first is the kind that is sold in a retail fashion. You may be able to purchase these at drug stores or grocery stores that have home health devices. These include pregnancy tests, syringes, and various prostheses, though these are prescribed by doctors.
The second category is one that is a man-made product that is made of synthetic materials such as silicone, titanium, or a ceramic material. The most common kinds of devices are those that are artificial in nature and intended for the knees, hips, and shoulders. Many of these devices have become incredibly high tech in nature as they are integrated with advanced computer and cloud-based software. The advancement of health technology, led in large part by the rise of artificial intelligence, has been the main source of growth.Common Medical Device Manufacturers
- Medtronic: A $29.7 billion dollar, they are the largest medical device company in the world.
- DePuy Synthes: A $26.6-billion-dollar market cap company, this company is a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson. They concentrate on surgical vision, wound closure, and related devices.
- Fresenius: A $20.7-billion-dollar market cap company, this company makes medical device machines and peritoneal dialysis products.
- Philips Healthcare: A $20.7-billion-dollar market cap company, they specialize in healthcare technology and they are a subsidiary of Philips.
- GE Healthcare: A $16.5-billion-dollar market cap company, this company is a subsidiary of General Electric. They invest heavily in artificial intelligence for medical platform and solutions.
- Siemens Healthineers: This company is a $16.5 billion dollar German company that is a conglomerate of Siemens. They primarily work in medical imaging and diagnostics.
- Cardinal Health: This company has a $13.5-billion-dollar market cap and supplies lab, surgical and home products.
- Becton Dickinson: This company has a market cap of $12.1 billion dollars and they develop medical devices, lab instrument and instruments for hospitals.
- Baxter: Headquartered in Illinois, the company has a market cap of $10.6 billion dollars.
- Hip replacements
- IVC filters
- Knee replacements
These are the cases that we handle routinely, but we also routinely handle other medical device cases. If you have been injured by a medical device or experienced any ill-effects from a medical device, feel free to call us for a free consultation to discuss your options and legal rights.How The Jackman Law Firm Can Help
If you have been injured by a medical device, you need to understand the legal options that are available to you. These are difficult cases that need a lawyer who understand to strategically place your case in the best possible light and obtain the best possible outcome. These cases are not easy to win. They take experience and know-how in order to prevail. The device manufacturers for these companies are multi-billion dollar entities with large insurance companies behind them. They are not going to offer you their last best offer for your case without pressure applied to them. This pressure is normally applied in the form of a well-tailored lawsuit. Having other plaintiffs with similar claims that you can aggregate with yours makes your case that much stronger.
Legally, you are allowed to recover the following damages for your case in Washington State:
- Money for medical bills
- Money for lost wages
- Money for out of pocket expenses
- Money for your pain and suffering
- Money for future medical bills
The insurance company for these medical companies will not likely want to pay these damages immediately. You need to be prepared for a long and drawn out fight that may take years in order for you to achieve the kind of settlement you deserve. Do not get discouraged or disheartened, however. We have the experience and know-how in order to achieve a favorable settlement for your case, and if we cannot, we will take your case to trial and do everything in our power to obtain a verdict that is deserving of what you have been through.