Seattle Defective Drug Lawyer
Americans are prescribed more drugs today than they ever have in history. Pharmaceutical companies spend more money each year marketing the drugs that doctors prescribe than they do testing the safety of the drugs they put on the market. Given the emphasis on sales, it is not altogether surprising that people are injured by the drugs that are intended to help make them better and healthier, creating a culture where profits are placed over people’s safety.Common Pharmaceutical Drugs
A prescription drug is different from an over the counter drug in that a prescription drug is one that is regulated and licensed so that a medical prescription is required for the patient to obtain it. The FDA and Cosmetic Act requires this. There are some drugs that switch from being drugs that are prescribed to over the counter drugs. The difference between a prescription drug and an over the counter the drug is that an over the counter drug can be sold directly to a patient without a prescription. There are some drugs that will require patients to see a pharmacist before the patient can obtain them, but many over the counter drugs can be obtained in grocery stores, supermarkets, and other retail outlets.
Another kind of drug is called a surgical or clinically administered drug, which is given to a patient following a medical procedure, whether that is a medical exam, a surgery of some kind, or after being admitted to a hospital. Surgical drugs can vary from the most common kind of pain reliever to a blood thinner to an anesthesia drug.
Unfortunately, many of these drugs can and often do cause unwanted side effects. Many times people do not know of the side-effects that can come from taking a certain drug, nor is the patient warned of the possible side-effect by their physician or pharmacist. Below are a number of pharmaceutical drugs and their unwanted side-effects:
|Abilify||Compulsive behavior, including gambling, eating, shopping, and sex|
|Invokana||Kidney damage, amputations, ketoacidosis|
|Opioids||Nausea, constipation, slow response time|
|Risperdal||Headaches, depression, weight gain|
|Taxatore||Permanent hair loss|
|Xarelto||Bleeding gums, back pain, tingling feeling|
|Talcum powder||Ovarian cancer|
These drugs can have devastating side-effects that may be fatal to the patient who takes them or, if not fatal, at least have life-altering consequences. It is best to speak to your medical provider if you are experiencing unwanted side-effects from taking this drug to see if there is a solution beyond just taking you off the drug. Additional medical care may be needed to get you back to health.
The top ten pharmaceutical companies in the United States, as measured by market share, are listed as follows:
- Johnson & Johnson: They are headquartered in New Brunswick, New Jersey and have a market cap of $314.1 billion. The company owns 250 businesses in medical technology, consumer healthcare, and pharmaceuticals.
- Pfizer: Located in New York City, they have a market cap of $196.3 billion dollars. They have been responsible for producing a number of drugs that have cured common infections.
- Merck and Company: Located in Kenilworth, New Jersey, they have a market cap of $164.3 billion dollars. The company was founded in German and has crated drugs like Gardasil and Januvia.
- Abbvie Inc.: Located in Lake Bluff, Illinois, this company was created by splitting Abbbot Laboratories. This company looks for ways to treats diseases like Crohn’s and cystic fibrosis.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb: Located in New York City since the mid 1800’s, the company has a market cap of $98.2 billion dollars and is one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world.
- Eil Lilly and Company: Located in Indianapolis, Indiana, the company has a market cap of $80.9 dollars and has produced drugs like penicillin and insulin.
- Bigoen: Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the company has a market cap of $61.6 billion, the company produces drugs to treat and psoriasis.
- Abbot Laboratories: Located in Lake Bluff, Illinois, the company has a market cap of $56.4 billion dollars and works on pharmaceutical drugs.
- Stryker Corporation: Located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, the company has a market cap of $46.1 billion, the company produces surgical equipment and endoscopes.
- Regeneron: Located in Tarrytown, New York, the company has a $39.3 billion dollars and does a lot of research dealing with brain research and finding related drugs to address brain defects.
If you have taken a pharmaceutical drug that has either seriously injured you or left you with serious unwanted side-effects, you need to reach out to The Jackman Law Firm so we can explain how we can help you. We offer free consultations and we work on a contingency fee basis, meaning we get paid when you win, which represents a third of the recovery we gain for you.
As you can imagine, the insurance companies for these multi-billion dollar companies are not going to likely to simply hand you money no matter how obvious it may seem that you were injured by their drugs. These cases take a lot of time and skill, but they can be won with a diligent and aggressive attorney who knows how to properly litigate them since it is not likely that a settlement of any real substance will be reached unless the case is litigated against them. The Jackman Law Firm can help you achieve a settlement so you receive money for the following damages:
- Money for medical bills, past and future
- Money for lost wages, including future wages you may lose
- Money for pain and suffering
- Money for any out of pocket expenses you’ve incurred
It is helpful to understand that these are the legal categories you are allowed to receive in Washington State, including the fact that, unfortunately, you are not allowed to receive money for what is known as punitive damages, which is available in many other states. Feel free to call us for a free consultation so we can walk you through how we plan to win your case. The consultation is free.